Flat earth: Bible/Qur'an teach this - but let’s show people a better way.
Since “god” (if any) didn’t actually make the earth flat, any books that think otherwise would not be from “god”, one could argue. So we chose not to bring forward into our belief system the parts of the Bible/Qur’an etc. that talk about “god”. But we will continue to gladly bring forward good, verifiable parts of those books such as “love your neighbor”. Plus, let’s love people of other beliefs enough to try to show them what we believe is an even better way.
You are now faced with the decision of whether to trust books that thinks that the earth is flat. The Book Of Scientific Humanism, on the other hand, teaches that the earth is not flat – so can you trust this book more?
Ask yourself this question: “do I love my children enough that if I myself had God/Jesus’ alleged all-powerful skills, that I would have told them in the last 2000 years that the most read book of all time (The Bible) got it wrong about the every planet that we live on?” If you answer “yes”, then one could argue that you’ve risen to a higher level of love for your children than even someone as great as God/Jesus has (he’s never bothered to tell the world that on this issue there is a better way than the Bible.) As a great parent you arguably don’t want your children to look foolish. If you’re that incredibly loving/caring of a parent, arguably more loving/caring on this issue than even God/Jesus is, then wouldn’t you likely have a great chance at a favorable “afterlife” – get into “heaven”, and avoid “hell” (if they exist)? This is one reason that we believe that Scientific Humanism would be your best shot at getting a favorable “afterlife”.
One option you have is to be a better parent by teaching your children a science-based "religion" like Scientific Humanism, rather than one that is well-intended but is instead based on ancient unscientific teachings. Love your family enough to believe that they deserve a “religion” that is reliable, and can be trusted. We believe in them - they deserve this!
If all-powerful “god(s)” actually exist, then he would have arguably been the one who created the specific rules of science in the first place! So by following science - and not unscientific books that believe that the earth is flat - you are honoring the “god(s)”. So are you arguably honoring the “god(s)” more by being a Scientific Humanist than by being a Christian, etc.? You be the judge – don’t let us, or anyone else, tell you what to think!
If there is an afterlife, then by following “god’s” way (i.e. believing in the science that he created), you’d have a better chance at a favorable afterlife, arguably. So would Scientific Humanism give you a better chance at a favorable afterlife (getting into “heaven”, and avoiding “hell” – if they are real) than unscientific belief systems, arguably?
The more your children learn about science the more they will appreciate that you joined the Center For Scientific Humanism and taught them science, and not legends/superstition, throughout their lifetime. We know that you can be a great parent!
The king seeing all the earth
· "Daniel 4:10-11. In Daniel, the king “saw a tree of great height at the centre of the earth… reaching with its top to the sky and visible to the earth's farthest bounds.” Only with a flat Earth could a tall tree be visible from "the Earth's farthest bounds" — this is impossible on a spherical earth, or the tree is a rocket?
Jesus seeing all the kingdom (so Jesus thinks the earth is flat)
· Matthew 4:8: "Again, the devil taketh him up into an exceeding high mountain [spaceship?], and sheweth him all the kingdoms of the world"
· Luke 4:5: "And the devil, taking him up into an high mountain, shewed unto him all the kingdoms of the world in a moment of time."
The earth is a circle
· Isaiah 40:22: "He sits enthroned above the circle of the earth (earth’s orbit?), and its people are like grasshoppers. He stretches out the heavens like a canopy (map), and spreads them out like a tent to live in."
· Isaiah 11:12 "And he shall set up an ensign for the nations, and shall assemble the outcasts of Israel, and gather together the dispersed of Judah from the four corners [north, south, east and west] of the earth."
· Revelation 7:1 "And after these things I saw four angels standing on four corners of the earth, holding the four winds of the earth, that the wind should not blow on the earth, nor on the sea, nor on any tree."
And (remember) the Day We shall cause the mountains to pass away (like clouds of dust), and you will see the earth as a levelled plain, and we shall gather them all together so as to leave not one of them behind.
Who has made earth for you like a bed (spread out); and has opened roads (ways and paths etc.) for you therein; and has sent down water (rain) from the sky. And We have brought forth with it various kinds of vegetation.
Who has made for you the earth like a bed, and has made for you roads therein, in order that you may find your way.
Till, when (such a one) comes to Us, he says [to his Qarîn (Satan / devil companion)] "Would that between me and you were the distance of the two easts (or the east and west)" a worst (type of) companion (indeed)!
Have We not made the earth as a bed, - Muhsin Khan
And after that He spread the earth;